Monday 4 April 2011

Nominations in.

     Over to Sidmouth to hand in the forms. Chatted with a candidate for Axminster Parish Council and with the vice chairman of the district Conservative Party. I think the latter had overheard some of my previous conversation, as he was telling me how diverse his group is and he doesn't think Independents will do well this time. I would beg to differ.
     The current make up of the authority is Conservative 42, LibDem 10 and Independent 7. Total 59. This is massively disproportionate compared to voter percentages.        
     There is always a strong perception in Exmouth that we are treated as the poor relations of the district. The largest town which often seems to have the smallest voice.
     Currently there is also a perception that the LibDems, traditionally the mainstream alternative in these parts, are hamstrung by their national party's parliamentary coalition with the Tories and unable or unwilling to provide effective opposition or scrutiny. If there is ever a time for the voters to seek a more interesting mix in the council chamber, it must be now.
     I am realistic about my chances but that doesn't mean I discount them. If I didn't think I had something to offer I wouldn't be standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment